Cari ga (chicken curry)
- 1 tbs light olive oil
- 1 large stem lemon grass, pale section only, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbs mild curry powder
- 350g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock (see note)
- 3 bay leaves
- 700g chicken breast fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce (see note)
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the lemon grass, garlic and ginger for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in the curry powder, sweet potato and carrot. Add the coconut milk, stock and bay leaves. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Add the chicken to the wok. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the sugar and fish sauce. Season with pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with coriander.
Remember.. get lots of crispy crunchy, freshest fresh baguettes to mop up those juices..